Friday, October 19, 2012

Rice Bags

Pin It
Oooh, rice bags .... they are making waves on Pinterest right now.  I would assume it is due to the fact that the cold weather has either started to settle in around some parts or is on it's way.  

Nights have gotten chilly .... really chilly.  Rice bags are the perfect solution to this problem.  They are wonderful to heat up and place under the covers at the foot of the bed a few minutes before crawling in.

They are wonderful on the lap under the quilt that covers my legs while watching television in the evenings or when I am curled up with a good book or while I am knitting.

photo credit


Rice bags are also great pain relievers ... either warmed up or used as a freezer pack, rice bags take away aches and pains oh so very easily.  They mold nicely to the small of the back or around the neck and on the shoulders.  Best of all they make great Christmas gifts!  Easy to make and easy on the budget, rice bags are a gift that everyone will love!

Remember my huge fabric stash?  Well this is another way of slimming it down.  I have done quite a bit of searching for the easiest pattern so they would not become a chore to make and as usual, the good old internet came through once again!  Selina over at Sew We Quilt gave the fastest, easiest and had the clearest instructions.  Making six bags at a time was the perfect solution to sewing them up quickly.

Digging through the stash, I found some odd and end pieces of flannel.  I have a few people in mind to give as Christmas gifts and I was lucky enough to have flannel that suited each person's personality.  The flannel will be used as the 'outer', removable bag.  This way the 'outer' bag can be washed when needed.

Selina mentioned using only 100% cotton for the lining of the rice bags and I found it in an old, flat bed sheet!  


Perfect!  Cutting the fabric for the inner bags and the outer bags, I increased the size a bit .... I never can seem to keep to the exact patterns!  


My outer bag was cut at 24 x 8 inches and the inner bag was cut at 25 x 8 inches.  I thought that was strange the inner bag was bigger but then it dawned on me that once the rice was added, it would actually 'shrink' the bag.  Duh.  Sometimes I am slow on the uptake.



Anyhoo, I cut six outer bags and six inner bags and sewed them up.  So easy! and fast!  


Filling the inner bags was of course messy since I am a born klutz and more rice ended up on the counter top and floor than in the actual inner bag but I wasn't complaining! In under one hour, I had six bags made for three very special people on my Christmas list and I know they will be appreciated.  



How wonderful is that?  Making something homemade for the ones you love and in your heart you know that they will be used and used gladly.


Doing some more searching, I found a cute Rice Bag saying that will be printed on hardback paper and added to the bags.


 The Rice Bag                                                                    

This little pillow filled with rice                                                                                             
Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes on high,                                                                                  
And kiss those aches and pains goodbye
Apply it to the troubled spot,
The heat will ease the pain a lot.
Or warm those little toes so cold,
You’ll find this nice to have and hold.
Or freeze it for a little while,
And fix that boo boo up in style.
Instead of a compress made of ice,
Use this pillow filled with rice.
    

Remember to give your loved ones a hug!

21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea. Thanks Debbie. I am going to check it out and make a few as Xmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Sharon, they are so easy and I think a great gift idea!

      Delete
  2. Great idea, and I love the little saying you found to accompany the bags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this Debbie!
    Such a lovely idea ... I' m also thinking about Christmas gifts - I have already a few in mind who would love a rice bag :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you will make some and give as gifts too Nina. Homemade is always the best!

      Delete
  4. Such pretty rice bags along with a cute verse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I am so glad you stopped by. :0)

      Delete
  5. These look like fun!
    May have to make some.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are easy Melinda and so cozy when it's cold outside! :o)

      Delete
  6. I am seriously thinking of making one of these to pop in the freezer and place in my bed to cool it down for bed time this summer! I have used a warm wheat bag in winter for years just never think you can cool down too.
    cath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the snowman Christmas fabric. It's so very cute! I use flax seed in my bags. Used to make all different sizes for a hospital for massage therapy. The flax seed seems to hold the heat or cold longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look great Debbie, nice job! I like the inner/outer layer idea, we'd made some before but it was just one layer. You could really have fun with the prints

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a question... is freezing them a problem due to the moisture they will pick up? It is only natural that they would absorb a touch from the freezer or even just the atmosphere. I'd be concerned that after freezing and using a couple of times, they might get sticky, moist or worse yet, moldy. Is this a concern? My concern would be the same for using with heat. There is moisture in the air, which would be absorbed by the rice and once microwaved, would I need to be concerned about slightly cooking the rice in it's pretty pouch?

    Thanks so much, I am not a naysayer, just someone who likes to cover the bases first, so I needn't worry later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome. I'm going to make a few of these! I'm your newest follower, hope to see you over at my own blog, possumhillfarms.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love for you to share this (or any of your other great ideas) at the link party going on through tomorrow night at ‘Or so she says …’ Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for sharing this Debbie.....saw you on the Barn Hop! I think this will make fabulous homemade gifts for Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These would make wonderful gifts! I had made some many years ago with cow corn, but the bag always smelled like a movie theatre when it was microwaved. LOL! I like the rice idea a lot.

    I will be featuring this post on my new hop tomorrow, please feel free to swing by and grab my Featured button!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm having a hard time understanding how you finished the outside back to have that tuck in it..... can someone explain?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the GW2 gold , swtor credits , swtor leveling good work.

    ReplyDelete

  16. Brides usually cocktail dresses give up no efforts for creating
    consumers see their bests whenever they march down the church
    aisle.That they cheap wedding dresses continually make sure
    to put on some luxurious sense for the marriage ceremony gowns

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...