Storing and Softening Hardened Brown Sugar
I am lucky to have a stockpile. I stockpile food and supplies that I use a lot of and because of the stockpile, I can wait for the sales to roll around and buy at greatly reduced prices.
The challenge with a stockpile however is rotation and keeping foods fresh until you need them and sugar is one of them .... brown sugar.
There are many ideas out there and everyone swears by their own method of storage and the softening hardened brown sugar. Whatever you chose and use is personal preference and as long as you have success, that's all that matters.
|courtesy of Google|
Here are some ideas for storing brown sugar so it doesn't harden and if it does harden, how to make it soft again.
- brown sugar will keep soft if stored in the freezer.
- to store brown sugar, wrap it in a plastic bag and place in a coffee can which has a snap on lid.
- soften brown sugar by freezing it. It will be soft when thawed.
- to moisten brown sugar which has hardened, place apple slices in a container with the sugar and cover tightly.
- brown sugar can be softened by enclosing a slice of bread in the bag. It will be soft in approximately a day.
- to soften hard brown sugar, place in sealed container with a couple of marshmallows.
Hope this helps! One more thing .......
If you have run out of brown sugar and need it for a recipe really quick .....
One cup of white sugar and two tbsp. molasses make one cup of brown sugar.
What are your methods? I would love to hear what works for you!
Linking up with Getting Ahead Blog