Thursday, December 10, 2009

Blizzards and Baking

Pin It

Yesterday the weather man was calling for a blizzard. We were expecting up to 18 inches of snow with high winds in the excess of 40mph. Not pretty. We hunkered down and waited for the arrival of the snow.




Nothing is better than relaxing in a warm house while the cold December winds are blowing outside. The snow began to fall and everyone went to their comfy places to relax.

I decided what a better time than to bake (unless of course we lose power) than during a blizzard. It makes the house smell wonderful and the heat from the oven beats out any chills that might try to sneak in.

I prepared my kitchen counter with all the necessary supplies and went to work. First of course I had to put on my snowman apron and tune the radio to the Christmas music channel. I was in heaven.

I started with homemade rolls that accompanied dinner's menu of sloppy joes and butter/herb rice. Yummy!

Then I began with the cookies. I was able to bake a German Chocolate Cake with icing, four dozen thumbprint cookies, four dozen meltaway cookies and four dozen Christmas sugar cookies that I iced with green icing and sprinkles. What a great start to my Christmas baking. I still want to attempt fudge and candy but that will probably have to wait until the next blizzard!



Here is my recipe for Meltaway Cookies. They are very simple and taste like a shortbread with chocolate chips. Something fun to do with the kids or grandkids.

Meltaway Cookies....

2 cups (1 pound) of butter, softened....you can use margarine but butter tastes so much better
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups flour
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F

Cream softened butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.

Gradually add flour, then stir in chocolate chips.

Drop by teaspoons on un-greased cookie sheets.

Bake 12 - 14 minutes, cookies will be pale in color.

Let stand two minutes before removing from cookie sheet and dust with powered sugar if desired.

Enjoy!

Thankfully we didn't receive the 18 inches of snow they were predicting but now the wind has picked up and a wind chill advisory is now in effect. With the wind we are reaching as low as
-30F temperatures. Too cold to venture far outside.

I think I will stay hunkered down in the house and work on an afghan. Winter is officially here. Stay warm folks! :)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie It looks like you had a very productive day in the kitchen and all those cookies sound Yummy.
    Try and stay warm,if I could I would send you some of our heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I am hoping to do a little baking this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about you when I heard the weather report, the cookies sound ymmm good, we will be baking some of these next week at daycare.

    Stay warm and keep baking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No better way to keep warm and cosy :0)They look yummo!!
    40c here again today (104f)
    I cant even imagine what -30f feels like!
    How Id love a white Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are hunkering down in Canada too! Lots of snow with lots of wind equals huge white outs. Mmm, fresh rolls sound delicious. I've started my Christmas baking too- much to DH delight. *wink wink* Hope you all stay warm!
    The Girl in the Pink Dress

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Deb, look at you all bloggin away, come check my blog out....I need peeps! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...