Monday, May 6, 2013

Lemon Wacky Cake

Pin It
 
 
I needed a lemon fix and we were out of eggs.  What do I do?  Head over to Pinterest where I found the recipe for Lemon Wacky Cake.   Now the idea behind this cake is that the chocolate version was popular during the depression.  Since eggs, milk and butter were in short supply and when a housewife could find some, they were usually too expensive to even think of using for a dessert.
 
 
Mary over at Sweet Little Bluebird not only mastered the original chocolate version but she also includes the lemon and spice version on her blog!  Imagine that?!  If only the housewives during the depression had Mary and the internet.
 
 
 
One pan, no bowl, no eggs, no butter, no milk and it is oh so perfect and moist.
 
Ingredients
 
1 1/2 cups of flour + 3 tablespoons
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon zest
 
 
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup of water
 
Preheat oven to 350F.
 
Directions
 
Mix the first 5 dry ingredients in an 8" square pan starting with the flour.  Mix well.  Make 3 depressions...2 small and one larger. 
 
 
Pour the vinegar in one small depression, the vanilla and lemon extracts in the other small depression and the vegetable oil in the larger depression.
 
 
Pour the water over the whole thing.  Mix until smooth.
 
 
Bake for 35 minutes. 
 
 
That's it!!!  I added a Key Lime icing on the top.  Easy peasy and yummy! 
 
 
 
Happy baking and remember to give your loved ones a hug! 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great recipe - I love lemon. I've made a chocolate wacky cake but have never seen other varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are wonderful! I have been craving lemon and you have now shared the perfect recipe :) I am going to make this today for dessert this evening. Thank you so much, Debbie!

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Like Kate, I have made the chocolate variety but didn't know about the other flavors. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, this looks so good! I LOVE lemon cakes especially when served cold from the fridge. This I next on the baking list & I'm off to find the chocolate recipe. Thank you~

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delicious - and I like the dea of mixing it all in the baking pan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I made the cake and it's in the oven right now :) I can't wait to try it! Thanks again for sharing and have a great week!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely light, fluffy and zesty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...