Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Eve of December 5th

Pin It

The eve of December 5th.  An exciting night around here I'll tell ya!  My Mother who was born in the Netherlands, carried over the tradition of Sinterklaas when my brother and I were growing up.  For those of you who are not familiar with Sinterklaas, well here he is ....

photo credit

Sinterklaas visits good little Dutch boys and girls on the eve of December 5th and brings them ....

photo credit

goodies!  Candy and fruit is the norm and maybe a few coins.  Being that it was such fun and helped to pacify us until Christmas Eve, I carried on the tradition with my son when he was little.

Each December 5th, Lucas would put his wooden shoes (yes, we each have our own pair of wooden shoes) by the door with a carrot gently placed inside (for Sinterklaas' white horse of course), hoping to find something in them in the morning of the 6th.  If he had been naughty that year, he knew that he could expect a lump of coal (from Sinterklaas' helper Black Peter instead).  

photo credit
Now Black Peter must have made quite the impression on my Mother when she was a child as she still recalls hiding behind her Mother's skirt when Black Peter and Sinterklaas rode by in the parade back in the old country.  Apparently Black Peter was black from dirty chimneys that he was expected to slide down when delivering the lumps of coal to the bad children each year.

So my brother and I and now my son must all be pretty good as none of us ever received that lump of coal.  What fun it was!  Even though we are older, all of us still find wrapped under the Christmas tree each year one of these ....

photo credit

the favored chocolate letter of our first names.  These letters have to be the BEST chocolate I have ever tasted!  Some years, I even steal hubby's "B" and eat it!!!  Now this year, Sarah will find wrapped under the tree her first Dutch chocolate letter .... and so the tradition will continue.  

Do you have any fun or different holiday traditions in your family?  Ones that are carried over from years past ... maybe from before you were even born?  I would love to hear about them.  

Let's hope no one wakes to a lump of coal in the morning!  Remember to give your loved ones a hug.


6 comments:

  1. How great to read you keep the Dutch tradition alive in your family. I'm afraid it will die out, for more people every year will not celebrate Sinterklaas anymore. Only families with small children do. We stopped celebrating it when my sisters' son turned 6 or 7.... Maybe we will again when my younger sister has children....
    I do like my chocolate letter though and always from VERKADE. They are the BEST!!! (and made in my home town too!!) Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bianca, I will have to check and see which manufacturer makes the chocolate letters we get over here...it would be cool if it was the same one!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful tradition Debbie. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have worked with a guy from Belgium for years. Several years ago he started talking about Sitnerklaas. At first it just sounded like a slightly different version of Santa Claus to me. Then he goes on to tell us about Black Pete. Apparently, he was quite scared of him too as a child. I swear I thought he was making it up at first. But the more he talked of their traditions I knew he wasn't. He also sent me a link about it to prove it! Anyway, he has a couple of girls here in the US, but still celebrates this tradition. I think it is great when people remember their customs and keep them going. Thanks for the post. I enjoyed it!
    ~Ann

    Stop by and visit us sometime at:
    Duck and Cover with the Dork Duo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! No, it isn't a myth...LOL He was telling you the truth. I will definitely pop over, thanks!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...