Leftovers. We all have them and some of us throw them out. Nothing goes to waste around here. I try and find any type of recipe that will use them up in a new way. If there is only 1/2 cup of vegetables left over, I will bag those up in a baggie and put them in the freezer for future stews and soups. The other day we had a great chunk of ham left over from our dinner a few days before. We had ham sandwiches already so something different needed to be made and the rest will be put in the freezer.
Looking for something that will be the main part of our meal, I found a Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and Ham recipe. Yummy! Just the sounds of it made my tummy rumble.
4 cups of peeled, sliced potatoes
2 cups of diced ham
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cups milk
1 cup frozen peas
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 pound cheddar cheese, diced
a pinch paprika, to taste, if you wish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Layer half the potatoes, half the ham, and half the onion to a 2 quart baking dish; then repeat the layers until everything is gone.
3. Heat the milk, peas, flour, butter, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, it took me about 10 minutes.
4. Stir the cheddar cheese into sauce until cheese is melted.
5. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and ham mixture then sprinkle with paprika.
6. Place the lid on the casserole dish. If you don't have a lid cover with aluminum foil.
7. Bake in the oven for approximately one hour or until potatoes are tender.
8. Remove the lid or the foil and continue baking until the potatoes are nicely browned, which took me approximately 15 minutes.
This recipe was easy and oh so delicious! Sorry I don't have a picture of the final product ..... everyone devoured it too quickly. Perfect for using up the leftover ham we had in the fridge. If you ever have some, give the recipe a try ..... I don't think you will be disappointed!
Have a great day and remember to give your loved ones a hug!