Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Soap Update

Pin It
It has been three days since I mixed up my first batch of blender soap.  If you missed it, here is the post.


I was too excited not to take a peek each day so I did and was very pleased with what I was seeing!  The soap hardened nicely and smelled wonderful.  I used lavender essential oil and since Debbie over at Homespun Living mentioned that she didn't think she added enough to her batch, I doubled the amount.




In order to get the soap out of the mold, (I did spray it liberally with cooking spray before pouring the soap in) I had to use an icing knife to score around the whole outside of the pan.  Then I had to use a metal spatula and carefully slid it under the center of the soap.  Once I did this, it came out easily. 






See that little oopsie at the top while it is in the container?  The blanket that was covering the soap for the last few days fell into it at the beginning.  UGH.  Oh well, this first time making the soap is for learning all the tricks.






The instructions indicated that now was the time to cut the soap into bars.  With my lack of confidence beginning this project, I didn't think this far ahead!  I now wish I would have used more of a square brick sized container.




My bars of soap were not as thick as I would like but seeing this is the first experimental batch, I tried to let the little imperfections slide off my shoulders.




As you can see, the bars are not uniform in size.  The little end pieces will be used up first once the soap has cured.








They don't look too shabby for my first successful batch, if I do say so myself.  I cannot wait to try it in 3 1/2 weeks.  Once I can use the soap and if I like the texture, feel, lather and moisturizing quality of it, another batch will be started immediately.  Now I just have to wait .... and patience is not one of my strong points!


Remember to give your loved ones a hug!

17 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I have always wanted to try making soap, and it is on my list for the coming year! Way to go!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe was very easy Katharine...try it and I don't think you will be disappointed!

      Delete
  2. They look fantastic Debbie! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lavender is my favorite scent. I can almost smell those bars. I've never tried making soap myself. Good Job Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks to me like they turned out great! I've really gotta do this soon. Lavender would be nice, but I might actually try something for masculine for my husband. He goes through an awful lot of soap, so want him to try this kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of masculine scents out there Becky....I am sure you will find one he will like. Let me know how yours turns out!

      Delete
  5. I wanted to make soap for a while! Great job for being your first time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go deb. I knew you would be successful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous project! Can't wait to hear how it turns out. I'm a new follower :)

    Carolyn
    {my simple messterpiece}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and following Carolyn!

      Delete
  8. Your soap looks great. I haven't made any in a long time. Maybe I'll mix up a batch soon. it is fun and gratifying to do something that works so good and saves money. Thanks for sharing your progress. Have a great week.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Heidi, it has been a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing yours!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...