Friday, April 20, 2012

We Have Seedlings!

Pin It
Here in Minnesota we cannot plant our garden until the end of May because of frost .... some people believe you shouldn't plant until after the full moon in June!  I just pay attention to the weather. LOL


With having such a short planting season, we definitely have to start seeds in the house at the end of March to give some of the plants an opportunity to reach maturity.






This year I started tomatoes, peppers, broccoli and cauliflower.  We don't have a LARGE garden for these seedlings, but last year I was still able to harvest over 300 pounds of fresh vegetables from this little round garden!  Our large 20 foot by 60 foot garden is strictly for potatoes and onions. 








So far so good, the seedlings are getting taller and will soon be re-planted into bigger individual containers.  I did have to plant tomatoes for the second time though ... for some unknown reason, the first batch did not sprout.




With Mother Nature playing cruel tricks and giving us some snow yesterday, I don't think I have to worry about getting these babies outside too soon.


Do you have to start seedlings and if you do, how are they doing?

Remember to give your loved ones a hug!

5 comments:

  1. We have a little greenhouse and hubby likes to start squash and other seedlings there. So far that's all we have going, but then it did freeze just the other night so a bit too early here to plant. He does have onions and carrots in the ground tho. Let's keep up with each other's gardens as we're close to the same latitude but such different types of weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great idea. I never plant squash as we have a neighbor who generously shares his each year. He plants a ton of it and always has a bumper crop!

      Delete
  2. I am working on my first garden and my seeds look very close to yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad Gayle! I hope they produce an abundance crop for you. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Looking g good! No seedlings here... we 're gonna cheat and just buy the plants this year. Cant wait to watch your garden blossom.
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...