Monday, September 28, 2009

Comfort Food for a Cold Day

Pin It

Yesterday was a cold, rainy, windy, blustery type of day.

Pasie has been fighting a head cold for the last four days so I thought what better time than to make homemade Chicken Noodle Soup for dinner!

The guys love my chicken noodle soup because I made my noodles from scratch and they are sooo easy to make! Luke actually said that my soup is his favorite meal now.

My broth is saved in the freezer until ready to use. I usually cook a whole chicken in the crockpot with the appropriate spices with extra water. After that meal, I save the broth, add some of the leftover chicken and freeze.

My soup is the broth and I add parsley flakes, onion flakes, oregano, sage, salt and pepper to taste. I either add a garden snap beans or corn to the broth. This broth has been in the crockpot all day simmering away. I make the noodles about 1 hour before the meal.

To make the noodles:

In a large bowl, mix 1 cup of flour, 1 egg and 1/2 egg shell of milk. (I made a double batch) Mix together with a fork until well blended and turn out onto a floured surface.



Knead dough for just a few minutes, making sure all ingredients are well blended.


With a rolling pin....and this is the important part. Roll out dough until very thin. If your dough is too thick the noodles with taste doughy.


Using a knife.....although I use an icing spreader....cut dough into strips...as long as you want them. I make mine about 5 inches long.




As I cut the dough into strips, I add them to the crockpot and give a quick stir. This keeps the strips from sticking together.





Let the noodles simmer for about 1/2 hour.


So simple and yet economical and delicious! My guys fight over the leftovers!
I then made grilled cheese sandwiches to go with the soup. Pasie said his sinuses were already beginning to clear up! Perfect for a cold day.

What does your family like to eat on those cold, blustery days?

6 comments:

  1. Stew or spaghetti sauce...just the sauce, no pasta.

    And grilled cheese always makes my youngest feel better.

    Valerie aka Mojjo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now I know what we'll have for Saturday's lunch, as it's going to be cool and damp here this weekend. Thanks for sharing..it warms my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum
    How delish and hearty!
    Would love for you to come enter this in our recipe of the month competition.

    All welcome,

    http://lickyalipsdelish.com/

    Hugs

    Kimmie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kimmie! The site looks awesome! I will definitely do that. Off to check out the site more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious! I may have to venture into the noodle making this weekend! Never done it before!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...