Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What to Do When the Snow Won't Stop

Pin It

Another winter storm moved in the other day which buried us again in more snow so the only thing I could think of to do that would lift my spirits was fabric ..... and lots of it.



Watching the snow swirl out the windows yesterday, I chose some greens .... that reminded me of green grass (I hope we see some this year!) and a couple of flowered prints.  Digging out my rotary cutting blade, I  got to work slicing.  Slicing for a rag lap quilt.  I figured that if I started a quilt this late in the year, spring would surely come and it would then end up in the UFO basket where it would sit until fall.  That's okay though this time, as it would mean that spring had arrived!



Since I didn't have any medium weight batting on hand and I didn't want to head out in the snow, I found an old flannel flat sheet that once belonged to a set.  The fitted sheet had long since retired to the rag bag so I decided it would be a perfect replacement.


I spent the afternoon measuring and cutting 6 inch cotton squares and 4 inch batting squares.  I chatted with hubby as I cut since he decided it was the perfect day to bake some homemade bread ..... go for it my dear!


Finishing up all the cutting after a couple of hours, I set to work with the sewing.  That didn't last long however, as after a dozen or so squares, I realized it was time to get dinner started. 


Well at least everything is cut and ready to go.  I even had time to plan the layout on a grid.  I am sure I will finish it before all this snow melts.  That will be a while, I think!
  
 
  


Have a wonderful day and remember to give your loved ones a hug!


9 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Wow, that will be very pretty when your finish. Happy first day of Spring. Hugs, Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you are still getting snowed on Debbie. We're definitely in a windy rainy mode right now, but the temps reach up almost to 50 degrees each day so can't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its still too cold for spring here too but thankfully no snow. I have never made a quilt where I cut the batting first like that. I am interested to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your choices in fabrics! BTW my hubbie likes to bake bread too.

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have a plan of action thought out.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.

    Happy Spring!

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cutting seems to take forever, doesn't it? I have some fabric on my table that I've been meaning to cut for days now. Hopefully I'll get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbie, the patterns and colors are so pretty! That's maybe the blessing of all the snow ... Plenty of time to be creative inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such pretty fabric, just right for Spring :) It looks like you have been and will be busy - have fun!

    Hugs to you,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...