Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Amish Country Bread

Pin It
 
 
 
 
Homemade bread.  Nothing tastes or smells better than bread baking in the oven.  I remember my Grandma baking bread.  She always wore an apron.....I don't think I had ever seen her without one.  I remember her hands kneading the bread and making sure the loaves had risen just right. 
 
My Grandma wouldn't just bake a loaf or two.  Oh no!! When she made bread, she made sure it would last the week and with a ton of grandchildren running in and out every day between haying, feeding the chickens and playing in the barn ..... well let's just say there had to be a LOT of bread.  We would get hungry, you know! 
 
I am always on the lookout for new bread recipes.  I have tried many.  Some have failed and some have been a success.  I can't say there is just one I use consistently.  I like trying different recipes.  So .....
 
 
 
I found another one.  This link showed up on my Pinterest page and well, in memory of my Grandma, I donned my apron and I just had to give it a try. I was thankful I did.
 
 
 
Amish Country Bread
 
 
Ingredients:
 
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter
3 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups of hot water
2 tablespoons of rapid rise yeast
5 cups of flour
 
Directions:
 
Put all the ingredients into a large bowl (or in the KitchenAid mixer if you have one) and let it sit for a few minutes so, as Lindsey likes to say, "the yeast can do it's thing". 
 
Add the flour in small batches and mix with a wooden spoon until all flour is added, then turn onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or dough is smooth and elastic (or mix with a dough hook for 8 to 10 minutes if using a KitchenAid). 
 
Place dough in a well greased bowl and let rise until doubled in size (approximately 30 minutes if your kitchen is warm). 
 
Punch down and divide in half into 2 rounds and place on a well greased cookie sheet.  Cut decorative slits in top.  Let dough rise again. 
 
 
Rub an egg white wash (1 egg white + 1 tablespoon water) over the top and sprinkle with kosher salt.  I added parmesan sprinkled on the top at this point. You can also sprinkle dried rosemary. 
 
Bake at 400 degrees for 17 to 20 minutes.
 

 
It makes a flat(er) round loaf.  Ours did not last long.  In fact the two loaves did not make it to include it with dinner.
 
Delicious. 
 
Have fun baking and remember to give your loved ones a hug!
 

20 comments:

  1. I have ALWAYS loved the smell of fresh baked bread...who doesn't? Many years ago, I lived in a very remote town with my folks and my mum used to bake her own bread regularly. My mouth is watering thinking about it now!! Enjoy your bread!
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never give up bread. Yours looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a hard time giving it up as well. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. The smell of bread is heavenly :) Your bread looks very good and enticing! I think I will try this recipe sometime - thanks, Debbie, for sharing :)

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie and you are welcome for the recipe! I hope you like it.

      Delete
  4. Deb, that sounds like a recepie to try. I learned how to make bread the old fashioned way from scratch as a young person probably by the time I was 12. I still enjoy making it that way. I don't think I would enjoy a bread machine. I'm kinda funny that way. Have you ever used the book Laurel's Kitchen bread book? It is a fantastic book for making lots of homemade bread.
    D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't heard of that book but I will definitely look it up! Thank you for mentioning it...it sounds like a book I would love.

      Delete
  5. Have you ever considered publishing an ebook or guest authoring
    on other websites? I have a blog centered on the same topics
    you discuss and would really like to have you share some
    stories/information. I know my audience would enjoy your work.
    If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.


    Also visit my homepage: freepressrelease24.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bread looks soft inside and crispy outside ... I feel like baking allready! My grandmom loved to bake as well - lovely memories! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina, that is exactly what it tasted like too....soft and crispy! :)

      Delete
  7. Debbie, that bread looks delicious! Thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet that is tasty!
    Like everyone else, I love the smell
    of fresh baked bread.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My body seems to digest all types of bread well, which is good because I LOVE it so much! This Amish bread sounds super yummy! I'm going to have to try it soon. Thanks for sharing!

    Blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds yummy! Wifey has a delish recipe on my blog (with hand-milled wheat even!) but its too hard linking from my little cell phone. Thanks for the post. Blog subscribed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks yummy! :) I am following from the hop!

    Have a lovely weekend.

    Scudds xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious! Your mama i proud of you!

    Mika

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that does look delicious! I will have to bake a couple of loaves this week. Thanks!
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing this in the Crafty Showcase! We are featuring you in a Last Minute Easter Recipe Round up!! This bread looks amazing!!

    Have a super week. Here is your feature http://bowdabrablog.com/2013/03/26/last-minute-creative-easter-dinner-recipes/

    See you this weekend for a new Crafty Showcase!
    Susie @Bowdabra

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...