Friday, February 8, 2013

Oatmeal to Go!

Pin It

 
 

Okay, I have to admit ..... I HATE (notice how that is bold) cooked oatmeal.  I have a real problem with eating cooked oatmeal. I love oatmeal in cookies and bars but not just plain old cooked oatmeal. I can add blueberries, raisins, fruit, honey ..... whatever ..... I HATE cooked oatmeal!
 
 
So for my quest of eating healthier, I think oatmeal should be added to my diet.  It has so many beneficial health aspects, lower cholesterol for one!  I think we could all lower our cholesterol for better health.
 
                 
 
Since you all know my love with Pinterest, it should come to no surprise that I found a great recipe to include oatmeal into my daily diet AND it is in muffin form!!!  Yippee!!  The best part of this recipe is that it is gluten free and diabetic friendly.  The original recipe is from Sugar Free Mom.
 
             

Ingredients:

2 eggs
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 mashed banana
6 packets of stevia or 1 1/2 teaspoon of stevia powder packets or 1/2 cup honey (personally I used organic honey)
5 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups milk (I used skim)
Optional toppings:  walnuts, sliced almonds, raisins, chocolate chips, blueberries, raspberries
 
                  
 
Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.  Mix vanilla extract, eggs, applesauce and banana and stevia (or honey).
3.  Add oats, flax, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and mix well with wet ingredients.
4.  Pour in milk and combine.
5.  Spray 2 - 12 muffin tins or use muffin liners.  Pour muffin mix into liners and fill to 3/4 of the way.
6.  If using toppings, add them onto the muffins now.  If using fresh or frozen fruit, drop it right into the batter.
7.  Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.  Cool and enjoy or freeze them in gallon freezer bags.

Perfect.  Now this kind of oatmeal I can handle.  Remember to give your loved ones a hug!


10 comments:

  1. Good Afternoon Debbie, I love oatmeal, I love it for breakfast, I love it with banana, with blueberries, with apple, with honey....I think you get my drift, so I know I am going to enjoy these healthy cakes. Just perfect.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love oatmeal in baked goods and really love granola. But like you, I am not a big fan of just regular cooked oatmeal. (Although you may HATE it more than me). I was just recently told to add more oatmeal to my diet for the nurse where I work. I am trying these this weekend! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am not a fan of oatmeal either.
    I MIGHT be able to handle these ????


    Enjoy your weekend!

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not like oatmeal either infact when my dr told me to eat more oatmeal, I ask if no bake cookies counted! If you will look on my blog you will find a recipe for baked oatmeal and I have to tell you it is to die for. You cook like I do and I iwll say I have played with this recipe and I add a bit more whole oats and things to make it chewy. My favorite add ins are a smashed ripe banana, a handful of chopped walnuts,a couple of spoonfuls of crushed pineapple and a grab of shredded coconut. Yummy!

    http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com/bakedoatmeal

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, on the other hand, love, love cooked oatmeal.....best with banana and honey! I also love bircher muesli (oatmeal soaked in apple juice and yoghurt overnight) The muffins look so yummy....maybe I will give these a go too.
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally got around to making a batch of these Sunday. I honestly just worked with mostly what I had. I did not have the flaxseed meal so I skipped that. I used honey (yum). And I really only had dried apples for toppings. I thought they were not as good as granola or an oatmeal cookie. Maybe just a touch bland. However, much better than regular cooked oatmeal or a yucky ole bran muffin. I do think trying some different toppings may add some needed variety. Overall, I like them as I had intended to eat more oatmeal myself. I have been eating them for breakfast all week.

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbie! I am following a no ahead, no sugar life style. This is perfect. Thanks! Marie @ http://123cradtcafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I already love oatmeal - but portable oatmeal is a BIG plus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love oatmeal :) In all it's forms! And this is a great idea! I found your post on Farmgirl Friday and I'd love to have you share it on The Creative HomeAcre Hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-creative-homeacre-hop-5.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...