Monday, February 11, 2013

The Afghan from Hell

Pin It
 
 
 
 
Yes, you read the title right!  I have always wanted to learn how to crochet a ripple afghan, you know, the ones that EVERYONE has on the back of their sofas?  In the 70's they were orange, brown and yellow, as seen on "The 70's Show" BUT I didn't want mine in those colors!!  I wanted one that would remind me of Spring.  One that would reflect bring colors that we see as the first flowers are making their way through the cold earth ..... daffodils, hyacinths, and primrose.
 
 
I started this afghan exactly on January 27, 2012 ..... yep, I know that was the exact date as I record all my knitting and crochet projects on Ravelry.  If you have never heard of Ravelry check it out!  So many patterns, inspiration and great people.  You can see it here
 
Now, the reason why it took so long wasn't because the pattern was difficult.  It was the exact OPPOSITE!  The pattern is so easy to mindlessly work with, that I was bored very quickly.  If I am bored, wellllll then I never feel like picking it up because it's too boring ..... hence the title "Afghan from Hell". 
 
 
 
So I plucked away at it and plucked away at it and come the new year, I was determined to finish it.  You see I have a rule.  I will not allow myself to start another knitting/crochet project until the one I am working on is finished.  I get too easily sidetracked and excited for new projects when browsing websites and patterns.  If I didn't follow this rule, I would have hundreds of unfinished projects floating around all over the house!
 
 
So the morning of January 28, 2013 ..... exactly one year and one day, I sewed in the last of the ends, laid out the afghan and admired the bright colors which do remind me of spring.  I am extremely pleased with it and look forward to cool-ish spring mornings when I can sit on the porch and wrap it around me while sipping my cup of coffee. 
 
 
Now that it's finished ..... I have been drooling over which project to start next.  Would I make this pattern again?  Definitely.  The color possibilities are endless but I would make sure next time that I finished it before a year was up!
 
 
 
Happy knitting/crocheting, have a wonderful day and remember to give your loved ones a hug! 
 

21 comments:

  1. It is beautiful!! You did a lovely job and now it will serve you with warmth for as long as you keep it and possibly pass it down to another family member!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job and love the colors!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cheerfulness that the many colors bring to this afghan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Debbie, it's beautiful! The colors are so brightr and cheerful. Good job and I'm sure you're very happy it's done.

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is absolutely gorgeous! I do love the colors much better than the old "dated" colors. I am still struggling with crocheting a dish cloth! I took it out and redid it many times. Now, it is looking (sorta) ok. But I am not quite done. I just got too sleepy the last time I was working with it and have not had time to pick it back up.

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! Keep at it and you will master it quite quickly. Ripping things out and re-doing them is a great learning tool. Looking forward to seeing the finished dishcloth on your blog! :0)

      Delete
  6. I love it...it looks so snuggly!

    :-)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I love your afghan! I also have a ripple afghan started, sitting in a basket... it is boring, and mine is about 30 rows so far. Hopefully, someday it will look as beautiful as yours! I just found your blog, saw your comment on Bianca's blog. Nice to find you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. With a blog title like this, I had to read it! I have an unfinished one too but a stripy pattern. There it sits, right next to my chair, since last winter. Almost done but not. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is very pretty. I am sure it is worth the time it took. I think some of our projects require just the correct "seasoning". Yarn projects especially. When the weather is too warm I just can not work with yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's lovely and well worth all the effort! I want to do a giant granny square afghan, in the vain hope at least I can aim for the corners to keep my interest going!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is very pretty! I have always wanted to learn how to do a ripple afghan. I am currently working on my second granny square afghan. I'm pretty excited... it is almost finished. :)

    I have a ravelry page to. I love organizing my projects on there. :)
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I have so many projects 1/2 done - a throw I started years back is just waiting for me - you've inspired me to finish it! Love your afghan! Well done! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie, lindo trabalho. O colorido é maravilhoso. Parabéns!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I know the feeling, projects that are too easy leave me bored as well. See what I'm up to at: www.kshippee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...