Friday, October 30, 2009

Homemade Cinnamon Buns and Dinner Rolls

Pin It

It rained all day yesterday....the kind that pours down, floods everything and makes a mess of the property. I wasn't going anywhere! To make the home smell good and keep the kitchen warm I decided to make homemade dinner rolls and cinnamon buns for dinner. I had put on a crock-pot of Beef and Barley soup from scratch that morning and the temptation of homemade dinner rolls to go with it were too much to resist.



Yeast in bowl.


I follow a recipe that I had discovered on Frugal Village and I love it. I make bread, dinner rolls, cinnamon buns and pizza crust from that one recipe. It is a large recipe that will make three large rolls that the family loves.

White Sandwich Bread

In a large warmed bowl, add 1 cup of lukewarm water, 1 tsp of white sugar and 2 tbsp (or 2 packets) of yeast. Let sand 10 minutes, then stir until yeast is dissolved.







I buy my yeast in bulk from the local Health Food Store. $3.50 for a pound of yeast is a great deal!

Next stir in 2 cups of lukewarm water, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 tbsp of salt and 1/2 cup melted butter. Beat ingredients then stir in 9 cups of flour, adding them 1 cup at a time.




Once it is stirred well, use a cup of flour on the countertop for kneading. Knead until the dough becomes elastic which is about 4 to 5 minutes.

After kneading, put the dough in a large oiled bowl and flip to coat both sides with the oil.

Loosely cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot. Let it rise one hour.



Punch down dough to remove air bubbles and divide into 3 loaves. If you wish to make cinnamon buns I used the dough for one loaf and rolled it out. Then I shaped the rest of the dough into buns and placed them in a greased pan.


I rolled out the dough for the cinnamon rolls, spread on butter (fairly thick), added brown sugar and cinnamon. You could also add raisins but we aren't a big fan of raisins around here.
Starting at one edge roll the dough into a log and slice pieces and place in a greased cake pan.
Cover pans with clean dishtowels and place in a warm area for another hour.
Loaves should double in size. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400F for 20 minutes.
They are ready when they turn a golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.






Remove from pans and cool on a cooling rack.




Delicious! Nothing better than homemade soup, dinner rolls and cinnamon buns for dessert!

Remember to give your loved ones a hug! =)



7 comments:

  1. I can almost smell them from here....mmm delish!

    :]

    Hugs


    Kimmie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MY LAND! If my computer shorts out from drool on the keyboard, its your fault! That sounds so good! I can almost smell them....do you think I could use wheat flour? like half and get away with it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think you could use half wheat flour Katie. I too was going to try it that way one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how yummy!! I can tell you love to cook! I'll show this to my son-in-law....he loves to cook, too! I just love to eat, but will have to admit that having him around the kitchen makes it easier for me to cook. The buns and rolls look scrumptious!

    Liz
    http://ninnysnotesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to try these myself because like the other I'm drooling too and we all love cinnamon buns.
    Happy Halloween

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep,Im trying this one too :0)
    Thanks for the recipe Debbie !

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious, Debbie! I've never actually made bread with yeast...I usually do drop biscuits, which don't require the yeast. I really have been wanting to give it a try, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...