Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Homemade, Handmade Christmas

Pin It

There are a number of blogs I follow that I love to read each day. They are listed at the right sidebar. These women are so inspiring with all that they do and how they live. Katie over at Katidids has been talking about her family having a homemade, handmade Christmas this year. You can read about it here...
http://katididscreations.blogspot.com/2009/10/handmade-homemade-frugal-holidays-men.html





Today her topic is about men's gifts. Men are difficult not only to buy for but also to make something for but she has listed alot of great links that will help to make that special male in your life a gift that they will love and appreciate.

I, too, have decided to make more gifts this year for Christmas. We have quite a few friends that we exchange gifts with and all of them will be getting something made by me. I am quite excited about it actually. I gave much thought as to what everyone would like and have spent the last few months sewing, knitting or crocheting their gifts.
This year I also plan on wrapping all gifts with homemade wrapping paper. I will make some re-usable shopping bags as wrapping paper as well but I plan on wrapping most gifts with brown kraft paper that will be decorated with stamps, fabric and designs. Less in the landfills and easier on the pocketbook.
One of my most favorite Christmas movies was the Walton Christmas. Do you remember that one? It always brought a smile to my face that the children were happy with the gifts they received and didn't expect much. Those were the good, old days. Now children want a room full of gifts, the most expensive and still don't seem satisfied. It scares me to think that these younger children are growing up believing that material possessions bring happiness.
If you plan on making more homemade gifts this year, I would suggest getting started now if you haven't already. To me a homemade gift is one from the heart. Anyone can walk into a department store and pick something out but when it is made my the giver's own hands, then they must think the world of that person.
If the whole handmade idea is intimidating, start small. Bake some cookies to give to a neighbor or mailman. It is a beginning and you will notice how much joy it brings to you to see how much it is appreciated. A warning however, once you start it is hard to stop.
Remember to give your loved ones a hug! =)

6 comments:

  1. What cool ideas!!! I'm excited already!! And there you are up in "snow country" where you can sit by the fire and craft your Christmas goodies....that's inspiring! Can't wait to see what you make, please blog about them!

    Liz
    http://ninnysnotesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Like you I plan on making more of my Christmas presents this year. I have already made a few and working on some more but I find the men are really hard to make for.
    Children these days get too much and a lot of them don't appreciate any of it.
    Things have changed so much :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea. I agree, though, it would be a huge mindshift for many families. We've been paring down each year and it's felt good. The truth is, the kids love whatever you give them, homemade or not. Everyone has seen a kid get a toy and play with the box instead of the toy. Simpler is always better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making gifts this year as well, but they are food gifts, as I'm not good at the sewing machine! My daycare always collects food and gives to the food banks in our community, then we bring a gift for under the tree, but it stays at daycare, sometimes it's something as simple as a box of crayons, paint, or a pack of paper, works for us! I so love simple and easy....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post! I think if we all link up our ideas, we should have a fantastic resource of information! I think the best Christmas we had as a family was when we were flat broke, the kids made each other gifts...the secrets and suprises were so much more than we ever expected. They are (mostly) excited to see what I come up with this year. They too are giving handmade gifts to eachother again. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those stockings!! And I cannot wait to check out that link for men's HM gifts. I've been busy all year working on HM gifts and love having the holiday spirit all year round!!MM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...